When? 12. 5. 2019 – 3. 6. 2019
Where? Municipal House, Rudolfinum, Kampa Island and more
How much? entrance fees varies from 0 (FREE) to almost 5000 CZK
The 74th Prague Spring International Music Festival in 2019 will be welcoming some of the greatest performers of classical music – real legends and young talents. Forty concerts will delight lovers of big orchestral sound and chamber music alike. You will hear works both contemporary and classical in the most outstanding Prague´s concert halls, churches or other locations. The very opening of the festival raises great expectations – Smetana´s My Country played by the Bamberg Symphony under the baton of its principal conductor Jakub Hrůša. This orchestra has a fascinating history in this respect. It was formed in 1946, bringing together uprooted musicians from the German Philharmonic Orchestra of Prague, and despite the heated post-war situation it has always lauded its Czech roots.
My Country by the most famous Czech composer Bedřich Smetana (1824 – 1884) consists of six symphonic poems focused on the topic of Bohemian legends. Since 1952 My Country has been performed as an opening of the Prague Spring International Music Festival on 12 May, the anniversary of the death of the author. The order of the poems is as follows:
- Vyšehrad (The High Castle) – the seat of the earliest Bohemian kings, according to the legends dated to the 10th century. Today, you can find foundations of the original settlement in Vyšehrad, a huge park which offers a wonderful view of Prague, and you can visit the grave of Bedřich Smetana.
- Vltava – as the river running through Prague and the longest one in the Czech Republic. This symphonic poem is probably the most popular among the My Country cycles which every citizen of the Czech Republic can recognize immediately. You can listen to its original melody yourself in here.
- Šárka – named after a female warrior from the legend of the Maidens War
- From Bohemia’s woods and fields – focusing on the beauty of the Czech countryside
- Tábor – a city in the south of Bohemia founded by the Hussites during the Hussite Wars in the first half of the 15th century
- Blaník – a mountain in the central Bohemia inside which – according to the legend of course – the huge army of knights led by St Wenceslas (the patron of Czech lands) sleeps and waits for the time to help the nation in the greatest need. For centuries, the people believed in this legend, and some still believe!
The Opening Concert will be held in the beautiful Smetana Hall in the Municipal House on the 12 May. Still, there are last tickets available!
You can find the complete program of 40 concerts on the official website of the festival https://festival.cz/en/program/
TIP: The opening festival venue will be on the 12 May at Kampa Island. From 4 a.m., there will be a rich programme prepared for visitors, and from 8 a.m. you can watch (for free) live broadcast of the Opening Concert of the Prague Spring 2019.
Tickets and how to get them?
There are 40 concerts, and the entrance fee varies from 0 (FREE) to almost 5000 CZK. Discounts are available at the Rudolfinum Prague Spring box office such as: children under 15 years and seniors aged 65 can receive a 20% discount on tickets for all Prague Spring Festival concerts (except for first and second category seats in the Municipal House and the Rudolfinum).
Tickets may be purchased at the Prague Spring box office at the Rudolfinum or may be reserved via an e-mail sent to the address email@example.com (tickets can be picked up at Prague Spring sales venues). Discounts cannot be claimed online. On-line tickets can be purchased following 4 easy steps:
- Choose a ticket: standard, Premium or Blossoming.
- Choose your seat.
- NEW! Add a programme brochure to your shopping cart.
- Fill in your contact and delivery and payment method.
If you purchase tickets online, you will receive them to email address. Online tickets don´t have to be printed, just show them on your mobile phone! You can also pick up your tickets at any Prague Spring sales location.
Premium tickets – if you are looking for a great gift or want to enjoy a luxurious experience than you can order a premium ticket that includes:
- The best seats in the hall in the top price category
- Welcome drink before the concert
- A glass of sparkling wine and light refreshments during the interval time
- A concert programme and festival catalog free-of-charge
- Cloakroom free-of-charge
- Meeting with artists
How to get there from Almandine Apartments?
Rudolfinum – the best way is to walk, especially if you haven´t walked by this route. Here is the map.
Opening hours during the festival (from 13 May to 31 May 2019) are Mon–Fri: 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. On the day of the concert in Rudolfinum, the box office will be opened also 2 hours before the start of the concert.
Municipal House – very short 10 min walk from Almandine Apartments, check here.
Opening hours during the festival (from 11 May to 4 June) are Mon–Sun: 10 a.m. – 8 p.m.
For the other locations, please check the official website.
We wish you a great experience in one of the best cultural events in Prague!